Bringing Your Fiancé to the U.S.

With the ever increasing popularity of social media and on-line dating sites, more people are meeting that special someone via the internet. If your perfect partner happens to live abroad, there may be immigration options available for you to be together in the U.S. The fiancé visa, a K-1 visa, allows a foreign national to enter the U.S. for the purpose of marrying and residing with their U.S. citizen partner. In addition to passing medical and criminal background examinations, the foreign national fiancé and U.S. citizen must demonstrate their intention to marry within 90 days of entering the U.S. The foreign fiancé must also attend an interview in their home country at the U.S. consulate. If the visa is approved, the foreign national fiancé will be granted permission to enter the U.S. Once here, the couple must marry within 90 days. After marriage in the U.S., the foreign spouse may file for adjustment of status, commonly referred to as applying for a “green card,” which will give them the rights and responsibilities of a Lawful Permanent Resident. Where the marriage is less than 2 years old, such residence will be “conditional.” The conditions must be removed before the two-year anniversary of the grant of residence.

Being separated from the person you love can be stressful. Hiring an experienced immigration attorney may relieve much of that stress since they will best present the required evidence, avoid common pitfalls, and timely respond to any requests, while navigating the case through the multiple government agencies involved in the process. Contact us today!

This does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to go over the specific details of your case to determine if it is advisable to apply for the benefit sought.

Schedule your consultation

Schedule now

or call us at (904) 723-4570