Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 904-590-2689
Saint Augustine Florida

Immigration Lawyer in Saint Augustine, Florida

Petitioning for your Fiancé Abroad: The ease of connecting to people from across the globe via the internet has made finding the right partner easier for so many. Although the fiancé visa process can be intimidating, with the help of a dedicated immigration attorney familiar with the specific requirements and conditions, you can take peace in knowing the journey will be as quick and stress free as possible. At the Law Office of Karen Winston, we understand the urgency of wanting to be with the one you love most. From the moment you walk through our door, until the time your fiancé arrives in the U.S., your case will receive the priority attention it deserves. 

Who can apply for a K-1 Visa? K-1 visas (fiancé visas) are available to the foreign national fiancés of U.S. Citizens. If approved, the visa allows the foreign fiancé to come to the U.S. for the purpose of marrying their U.S. Citizen fiancé. After the couple marries, then the foreign spouse can apply to get their permanent residence in the U.S. 

Note a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) cannot file a K-1 fiancé visa for their fiancé abroad, and they would need to either become a U.S. Citizen first and the file, marry their fiancé and file for them as the spouse of a LPR. 

What are the requirements for a K-1 visa? 

  • Your fiancé is a U.S. Citizen
  • You both intend to marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival to the U.S.
  • You have met each other in-person at least once within the last to (2) years
  • You are both legally eligible to marry each other
  • The U.S. citizen fiancé must show they are financially able to support their fiancé

Can my fiancé bring their children to the U.S.? Yes, if your fiancé’s children are unmarried and under twenty-one (21) years of age, they must be listed on the petition and will be issued K-2 visas if your fiancé’s K-1 visa is approved. They do not have to travel with your fiancé to the U.S. but must enter the U.S. within one year from the date your fiancé’s K-1 visa was approved. 

How long is the fiancé visa good for? The K-1 visa is valid for six (6) months from the date it is issued. Your fiancé may only enter the U.S. one time with their approved fiancé visa. You and your fiancé must marry within ninety (90) days of your fiancé’s arrival to the U.S. 

When can my fiancé apply for their green card? Your fiancé can apply to become a permanent resident (commonly referred to as a “green card” holder) after they enter the U.S. and you have married each other. We recommend filing within ninety (90) days after your fiancé entered the U.S. When you file the adjustment of status application, your fiancé can also apply for work authorization at that time. 

What is conditional residence? If your marriage will be less than two (2) years old at the time your fiancé and you are interviewed regarding your application for adjustment of status, your fiancé will be granted conditional residence.

Get started with our experienced and compassionate immigration team today. Call us at (904) 590-2689 or contact us online today.

Continue Reading Read Less

Everyone Is Welcome

See How We Can Help You
  • They are worth every penny, they take the time to know their clients and provide excellent service. They have great people working there and I highly recommend using this firm.
    - Shoshanna A.
  • Every member of the team we dealt with was super welcoming and friendly and they took away all of the stress and uncertainty.  Our application was approved way quicker than anticipated and with a minimum of stress.
    - John D.
  • I am blessed to have connected with Karen and her fabulous staff. They were more than helpful in getting my daughter here from the Philippines and went above and beyond more than once.
    - Tim C.
  • A year after arriving in this beautiful country, we placed our complete trust in attorney Karen Winston and her remarkable team. My experience included emotional support and a level of human quality not found everywhere.
    - Ibeth C.

    What Sets Us Apart

    Ethical and Trusted Representation
    • High Success Rate

      Over almost 15 years of service, Karen Winston has an impressive record of keeping families together.

    • Reputation for Excellence

      As an attorney and former law professor, Karen Winston is well-respected before USCIS, courts, and judges.

    • Immigration Is All We Do

      We focus exclusively on Immigration services and are fully prepared for whatever your case may need.

    • Trustworthy Representation

      Our dedicated team truly cares about each client, and we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards.

    Get Started

    Schedule A Consultation

    We can serve you in English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole. Contact us today!

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy