Palm Coast, Florida

You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.

Bob Marley

What is a VAWA self-petition and who is eligible?

A VAWA self-petition is available to spouses of abusive U.S. Citizens (USCs) or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs). Divorced spouses may still qualify if the petition is filed within two years of the divorce. Children of abusive USCs or LPRs and, and parents of children who were abused by a USC or LPR may also qualify.

The petitioner must prove they were subjected to battery or extreme cruelty, that the marriage was in good faith, that the abuser was A USC or LPR, that they resided with the abuser, and that they are a person of good moral character. 

Under new policy, denial of a VAWA self-petition will likely result in issuance of a Notice to Appear (NTA) and referral of the case to Immigration Court (removal/deportation proceedings). It is therefore always best to present the strongest case possible from the very beginning. Attorneys at the Law Office of Karen Winston have extensive experience representing victims of domestic violence in VAWA self-petitions and look forward to speaking with you confidentially about your case. Here is additional information about the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) requirements, as well as common myths and misconceptions. 

Link to VAWA content page

Link to 5 common myths about VAWA

Schedule your consultation

Schedule now

or call us at (904) 723-4570